Sound Insulation Tests have been a requirement of Building Regulations Part E since 2003, and are carried out on-site in accordance with BS EN ISO 140 Parts 4 and 7, with the testing normally carried out between living rooms and bedrooms.

Testing would be required on new residential projects or on projects where a ‘material change of use’ has occurred, e.g. converting a house or office building into apartments, with a number of party walls and party floors being tested. Airborne and Impact tests would normally be required through living room and bedroom party floor/ceiling constructions with Airborne tests through party walls.

BAT are UKAS Accredited to conduct sound insulation testing in accordance with BS EN ISO 140 4 & 7 and are experienced in testing both new and “material change of use” developments and can advise on the minimum numbers of tests required to satisfy Building Control. BAT has an Associate Member of the Institute of Acoustics available to review the details and design for acoustic separation between rooms who can offer cost-effective solutions where required, should acoustic separation issues arise.